Meet Murray and Kathy Trim, Immanuel missionaries serving in Kobe, Japan.
Spring has arrived in Kobe and we are enjoying so many varieties of flowers in full bloom. What a great display of God’s creativity! Along with Spring, the first of April is the time when many changes happen in Japan. The start of a new school year often leads to folks relocating, college students headed to the big city, and changes in our schedules.
Kathy underwent knee replacement surgery on her right knee on March 13th. During her one month stay in the hospital, she received excellent care and a great start on the rehabilitation. She was also able to build a foundation for some excellent friendships with other patients and the hospital staff.
- Please pray for her to be able to nurture those relationships as she continues to return to the hospital weekly for rehabilitation.
- Pray especially for Mrs. Morita and Mrs. Miyaji, former roommates, who became especially close. Mrs. Morita is still hospitalized, but hopes to be released by the end ofMay.
- Pray also for Nurse Kimura who likes to use her English and wants to spend more time with us and visit our home.
Manae Ueno began attending Agape in April, when she moved Kobe from Takamatsu, where Murray lived for the summer 35 years ago. Back in 1978, Manae’s grandmother was Murray’s “host mom” and he lived with her then high school-aged uncle. We met Manae once about 5 years ago. She grew up in a church, but is eager to learn more and has asked to prepare for baptism. She has already brought a new friend to our April English Cafe, and told the kids’ Bible story one Sunday morning.
- Please pray for her spiritual growth and that we can reach out to students on her college campus, which is anly a 6-7 minute drive from Agape.
Besides Manae, we have recently developed relationships with several other college students, and Kathy and our co-worker Ciara are praying about how to start a ministry to this age group. It is very difficult to find a time in their varied schedules when they can all meet together at the same time. For now, we are focusing on one-on- one opportunities, but we would ask you to pray that God would open the doors to start a group ministry. Interestingly, college sophomore Josiah is attempting to begin a similar ministry on the other side of Kobe on his college campus at this time.
Together with our mission, TEAM, we are involved in talks with a couple about our age who live in Seattle and have been involved in ministry to international students for over 10 years. God has given them a vision to come to our area of Japan for at least two years to do follow-up with Japanese who have returned here after college in the USA, as well as reach out to international students here. They still need about $2,000 a month in support, and would appreciate your prayers for this need.
- Please pray that God would give us wisdom as to how we can work together.
Elia Downey, Moody West Bible College Student in Spokane, has completed her support raising and will be arriving in early June to join the ministry of Agape for seven weeks this summer. She has a great interest in Japanese and the language, and hopes to memorize
her testimony in Japanese before she comes.
- Pray for her preparations and for all God is going to do in her and through her during her time in Kobe.
We are excited that Caleb and Beth Anne have applied to be missionaries to Japan with TEAM. They would appreciate your prayers as they pursue the Lord’s leading towards ministry in Japan.